Tuesday, April 7, 2009

commentary for Orchard Road

$40 million dollars, what does it worth for? With it you can buy 40 cars or 3 beautiful new houses, and at least it must can make the street more beautiful, so that it can impress people there very much. But in Orchard Road, the STB spent $40 million dollars which worth 40 cars and 3 houses to embellish the environment, and can you believe? It just uses for building new street lamps, decorative glass panel, and potted flower tomes! And it really only help a little so that nearly 40 percent people who do not notice anything change here!

There was someone said that "it seems like there's no big difference and it's something that you would not notice any unless you looked closely."

I am strongly agree, I remember I came here in November 2008 and I went to the Orchard Road firstly because of its gorgeous fames. But to my surprise, I do not found anything different from others, except the more people. For example, Bishan (where I lived) has a few differences—— only less people and fewer cars on the road, but it has more green!

So when I heard that STB would spend $40 million dollars to make Orchard Road more attractive, I got very excited and hope to see what had changed soon!

Then I went there several times but found nothing changed! The only thing I noticed is that there have more shopping malls and nothing more! Nothing! Even no shelter between the malls to keep out the rain for people! I was very confused, $40 million dollars! What a large number of money! And that only a few things changed! It does not impress me as I expect. So I decided that unless I have to buy something, which cannot be found in Bishan, I would not go to Orchard Road again!

After that let's compare it with the Chinatown (anther road which had been rebuild before). I also went there before, and I found that was much different between now and before from photos (because I have no luck to see what it really like before it had been rebuild) and to be honest, it change a lot all. The building became new and the environment became cleaner, even the shopping mall became more modern, the people also increased a lot, new street, new plants and so on, with no doubt, it really change a lot, and the money spent was useful and worthful.

But the Orchard Road cost $40 million dollars and only changes a little so that people cannot tell the differences there. Is that little change worth $40 million dollars?

At the end of this article, I want to say that "money was gone, and the Orchard Road was remained nearly the same, so then, where was the money gone?"

2 comments:

  1. You do have personal opnions, but i think you should include other stronger points which are supported by evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Du Wei!
    There are a few grammatical errors, but they don't really prevent me from understanding, so it shouldn't be that bad.
    I felt that you could have looked further into the issue, and identified and elaborated on how the money could have been used for better, more pressing needs, like to help with the financial crisis.

    ReplyDelete